Wednesday 25 July 2012

Royal visit to Cowes

Today HM The Queen visited Cowes, Isle of Wight, on the final leg of her Jubilee tour of the UK. I have to confess that I am not that much of a Royalist but I do rather like Her Madge, and she does remind me of my late Nan in a way, but my aunt wanted to see her and I fancied a morning out, rather than doing any work.

We left my car in Newport and caught a special shuttle bus to Cowes.

The Queen and Prince Philip arrived at Cowes to a 21-gun salute on the lovely 1930 gt motor yacht Leander, built at Peene Werft in the former East Germany in 1992, then walked along Cowes Parade to the RNLI station which she was opening.

As ever, please click for the largest sizes


Red Eagle suitably attired
I got some great photos of the Queen







I have no idea who this is, but note the huge mace. Bet he was hot in that regalia, too, it was 30°C

Maj General Sir Martin White, Lord Lieutenant of the Isle of Wight
Motor Yacht Leander

Red Jet 4 was being used for a special cruise

The guns at the Royal Yacht Squadron were used for a 21-gun salute as the Queen landed at Cowes